Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

In my various teaching setttings, I am having the students read a variety of articles that I have found helpful, as well as listen to a number of MP3s. It got me thinking about some of my favorite resources that I use. Most of my favorite articles and MP3s, I can't post because of copyright issues. However, there are a number that I can direct you to through links in the web. So, here are some good articles and MP3s that I have found helpful. If I can find a legal way to put other stuff up here, I will do that later.

Good MP3s
There are a number of good sources for sermons on the web. I typically listen to sermons by Tim Keller, John Piper, and some by Mark Driscoll, Scotty Smith and Ray Cortese. A great new source for many of these is The Gospel Coalition. Besides sermons, here are some lectures that I have found helpful. Two other great resources are Covenant Theological Seminary and Third Millenium Ministries. You can get the equivalent of a seminary education through these sites without paying a dime. For those of us who have been out of seminary for a while, this is a great way to get in some continuing education while driving, hiking, or running. Praise God for the IPod!

Heaven is not Your Home Message by Richard Pratt on The Kingdom of God (Also see Pratt's full series on The Kingdom of God)

The Heart of a Christ Centered Message Dr. Bryan Chapell's 1st Lecture on Communicating Christ - This Series is a MUST for all who teach and preach.
The Hands of a Christ Centered Message Dr. Bryan Chapell's second message on Communicating Christ
The Hope of a Christ Centered Message Dr. Bryan Chapell's third lecture on "Communicating Christ."

The New Perspective on Paul, lectures 1, 2, and 3 by D. A. Carson (Note: I listened to the lectures he gave at RTS-Orlando. I assume that these are the same). I realize that my friends who are more sympathetic to N. T. Wright find Carson "unfair". However, while I am no expert on Wright (and have benefited much from his writings), I found this critique to be spot on.

Keeping Up with the Conversation: Undestanding the Emergent Movement and the Emerging Church by D. A. Carson

The Gospel and Post-Modern Minds by D. A. Carson

Good Articles
Preaching in a Post-Modern City by Tim Keller
Preaching in a Post-Modern City II by Tim Keller
Hope Management by John Ortberg
Ministering to Post Everythings by Tim Keller
Leadership and Church Size Dynamics by Tim Keller
Living a Magnetic Faith in a Post-Modern World by Denis Haack
The Missional Church by Tim Keller
ADVANCING THE GOSPEL INTO THE 21ST CENTURY by Tim Keller
Christian Charity by Jonthan Edwards
Evangelical Manners by Richard Mouw
The Burden of Change by John Frame
The Good Shepherd by Leslie Newbigin
Taking the Swagger Out of Christian Cultural Influence by John Piper
The Covenant of Grace by Calvin Knox Cummings
How to Teach and Preach Calvinism by John Piper
Worship as Evangelism by Sally Morgenthaler
I would also add the the articles on deaconnesses in my previous post.

No comments: