Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Preaching at Village Seven

Last Sunday, I concluded my series on 1 Peter. It had been 17 years since I last studied that book. None of my study from back then carried over. I truly enjoyed studying it again. If I had it to do over again, I would have taken longer to go through it.

Now that we are finished with 1 Peter, many have asked, "What's Next?" During the summer, I will be preaching on a few different topics before I start our next book series in the fall. Here are some of the topics we will cover:

June 15 - Work Hard, Rest Easy - a look at God's gift of the Sabbath in Exodus 16:13-30.

June 22 - Religion and Politics: What's a Christian To Do? (Proverbs 31:1-9). I was going to preach this right before the General Election. However, after talking with some others, that might be too late to be relevant. So, I moved it up to June.

July 13 - August 10 - Encountering God in Worship - This will be a mini-series on worship. In this series, we will look at several different Scriptures, including Psalm 63, John 12, John 4, and Isaiah 6.

During the summer, I spend much of my time studying in preparation for my sermon series for the fall through spring. I plan to do a short series (4-6 weeks) on Ecclesiastes. Despite being nearly 3000 years old, Ecclesiates speaks directly to contemporary people. It is challenging to non-Christians who live as if this world is all there is. It is also challenging to Christians because we have bought into our culture's worldview on so many levels.

After Ecclesiastes, I will begin a series on the book of Genesis.

1 comment:

Rob Bushway said...

Looking foward to the summer series, Mark.

Appreciate you a great deal!

Rob Bushway